Making music together can be fun
Watch this short video clip before you answer the following questions.
1. How long do you think it took to practice and prepare in order to produce this video?2.These five men look like they are really having fun. Why do you think they are enjoying their own music so much?
2. What compromises do you think each musician had to make in order to produce this video?
3. What impresses you most about this video?
1. What happens when people work together in unity?
2.What happens when we are committed to one another?
Read Hebrews 11. What were the people able to accomplish by putting their faith in God?
Let us rise up and build
The Blue Man Group was started by three men who didn't feel they had any remarkable talent in any particular area. They were not renowned artists or musicians, nor were they great producers or technological geniuses. However, they were very interested in entertaining. They wanted to take the talent each one did have and combine it to make a wonderful artistic expression. So, they painted themselves blue, put on plain black uniforms, and began walking the streets of New York entertaining people. Today the blue man group performs all around the world. They have combined technology, sound, sight, and drama to create a new dimension in entertainment. This week, after many years of waiting, I finally had a chance to see the Blue Man Group perform live. I was overwhelmed by the wonderful performance these men gave. They were a wonderful example of what it means to work together as a team..
Nehemiah was a cup-bearer to the king. He was not a builder. It is reasonable to assume that most of the people living in Jerusalem were not skilled in "wall building" either. In fact, the first people to grab their tools and start building were priests. Yet they had the courage to say, "Let us rise up and build." (Nehemiah 2:18) So they set their minds to the task and went to work. In Nehemiah chapter three we learn how the strength of the people was not in their numbers or their skill, but in their willingness to work together.
|Blue Man Group|
What did teamwork look like?
Nehemiah 2:17-3:32 gives us a great model of teamwork.
1. Unity--They spoke with one voice. "Let us rise up and build" (2:18)
2. Commitment--They committed themselves to the task. "So they strengthened their hands for the good work." (2:18)
3. Confidence in their leader--They followed the guidance of their leader. "And I told them of the hand of God that had been upon me for good, and also the words that the king had spoken to me. And they said, "Let us rise up and build." (2:18)
4. Faith-"Then I replied to them, 'The God of heaven will make us prosper," (2:20)
5. Initiative-"Then Eliashib the high priest rose up with his brothers, and they built the Sheep Gate." (3:1)
6. Organized--The construction team was divided into groups; each group took responsibility for a certain part of the wall.
7. They gave--(7:70-73)
Watch the video Piano Guys again.
Whether we are building walls, creating music, raising a family, playing on a soccer team, singing in the church choir, serving in a soup kitchen, or managing a large corporation we understand the importance of working together. Corporate executives, coaches, musical conductors, and even church leaders understand the importance of teamwork. Where there is teamwork, everyone is happier and the organization functions better.
- Identify the various groups or teams in which you are involved.
- Remember a time when you were part of a team that really functioned well together. What aspects made the team work well?
- What biblical principles can you identify that will help you become a better team member?
- What is one of the most difficult aspects of being part of a team?
- What would you like God to do in order to help you become a great team member?