Our Final Destiny
Here are two very sobering thoughts that we all must face. Every person alive on this planet will someday pass from this life as we know it, and everyone who has ever lived will spend eternity in one of two places--either heaven or hell.
Through Scripture God has revealed many things about both of these places, but He has not told us everything. Most people have many questions that cannot be answered until we are actually in eternity. However, the Bible has made a few things perfectly clear. As we endeavor to understand more about man's final destiny, it will be important for us to assert only those truths that the Bible has made plain.
Hell is a very, very bad place.
1) Hell is a place of fire. (Matthew 5:22, Revelation 20:14-15)
2) Hell is a place to serve God's sentence of judgement. (Matthew 5:29-30 , Mark 9:45, Luke 12:5)
3) Hell is a place where we are separated from God. (2 Thessalonians 1:5-10)
4) Hell is a place of torment. (Luke 16:19-31)
Just as there is a hell to avoid, there is also a heaven to gain. While there are only 13 references to hell in the Bible, there are over 466 references to heaven. People like to talk about heaven in terms of streets of gold, heavenly mansions, and many other wonderful ideas. Yet, the most important part of what makes heaven glorious is this: Ultimately, heaven is being with God for all eternity.
1) Heaven is a place of great reward. (Matthew 5:11-12, Matthew 25:31-40)
2) Heaven is where God is. (Matthew 5:16, Revelation 22:1-5)
3) Heaven is a beautiful place where we will be with Jesus (John 14:1-3)