What does it mean to be a Christian?
Notes for Mentor
View Entire Lesson Series
|Cali shares how God turned her life around.|
Iranian Muslim Converted to Christianity
|Testimonies of Jews who have come to Christ|
|Won't Good, Moral, Ethical People Go to Heaven?|
Testimony of a hindu coming to Christ
|A High Class Call Girl Finds Christ|
|Won't Good, Moral, Ethical People Go to Heaven?|
|I am a disciple of Jesus|
|My Redeemer Lives - Nicole C Mullen|
| || |
May I be among the first to congratulate you for participating in this MOSAIC series. Whether you are just curious about Christianity or have already become a follower of Jesus, these lessons can help you in your journey with God.
In some ways, becoming a follower of Christ is like being reborn. You experience life in a whole new way. You have so many questions and learn so many new things. You may also face times of doubt and fear. But, over time, you will grow stronger and gain confidence.
This series of MOSAIC lessons is designed to help you as you begin your walk with God. Each week you will receive a new lesson that will help you understand some of the fundamentals of being a follower of Christ.
By now I hope you have found a mentor--Someone who can meet with you weekly and help you learn and grow in your faith. Take time to review each lesson before you meet together. Prepare any questions you may have. Pray and ask God to help you learn and grow. Your mentor is available to help. Be open and honest about what you are thinking and experiencing. Pray together and be willing to be accountable.
Let's start at the beginning
What does it mean to become a Christian?
Click on the following link and watch the video:
Did you know that God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life? This simple truth is the foundation of the Christian faith. Consider the following questions and be prepared to share with your MOSAIC group or mentor:
- When did you first realize there is a God?
- Have you ever considered the fact that He is real, alive, and wants to have a relationship with you? How do you respond to this truth?
- Click on several of the testimonies provided in the left column. As you hear each person share his/her story reflect on your own life. How have you seen God speaking to you and working in your life. He has been near you for a very long time; providing many opportunities for you to find Him. We call this prevenient grace.
Below are five fundamental principles that will help you know how to become a Christian. After you read each point click on the Scripture verses and see what the Bible has to say.
1. Recognize that God loves you and has a plan for your life.
2. Recognize that sin separates you from God and others.
"Sin" is walking our own way in rebellion against God's will. When we walk away from God, we walk away from life.
3. Recognize that Jesus Christ died and rose again for our sins.
4. You must repent and ask God for forgiveness.
- Admit and confess your sins to God.Proverbs 28:13
- Repentance means:
- * To acknowledge your sins.
* To be sorry for your sins.
* To confess your sins.
* To be willing to forsake your sins.
* To have your life changed by Christ.
- Forgiveness is promised. 1 John 1:9
5. Place your trust in Christ and receive Him as your Savior.
Simple Prayer of Faith
We talk to God just like we would a friend. If you are ready to receive Christ just say the short prayer writtent below. There is nothing magical about these particular words. But you can use them to express to God how you really feel.
I want to have life. I know that I have sinned. I need Your forgiveness and pardon. I believe that You died and rose again for my sins. I now accept You as my personal Savior. I will forsake my sinful life. I know that Your grace and power will enable me to live for You.
Thank You, Jesus, for saving me and for giving me a new life.
What just happened?
You have been born again! You are saved! Jesus lives and you! You have received the greatest miracle that any human being can experience in the whole universe. The Bible calls this to be reconciled, to be rescued by the blood of Jesus, and to be brought from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of light.
Since you have been born again, now what follows is growth. Some of the next steps will be fascinating, and others will be challenging... But from now on, your future will be glorious and your present is an adventure in progress. (Proverbs 4:18; Philippians 1:6) (Master's Plan-Obed Jauregui)
Did you know that the angels in heaven rejoice when a person turns to God? Luke 15:10
* Be assured of Christ's forgiveness.
* Read your Bible and pray daily.
*Find a Christian mentor who can help you.
* Become a vital part of that church.
* Share your faith with others.
You have began a wonderful new life in Christ.
What happens when we are saved?
Justification, Regeneration, and Adoption
Justification is the gracious and judicial act of God by which He grants full pardon of all guilt and complete release from the penalty of sins committed, and acceptance as righteous, to all who believe on Jesus Christ and receive Him as Lord and Savior.
Regeneration, or the new birth, is that gracious work of God whereby the moral nature of the repentant believer is spiritually quickened and given a distinctively spiritual life, capable of faith, love, and obedience.
Adoption is that gracious act of God by which the justified and regenerated believer is constituted a son of God.
Justification, regeneration, and adoption are simultaneous in the experience of seekers after God and are obtained upon the condition of faith, preceded by repentance; and that to this work and state of grace the Holy Spirit bears witness.
- (Luke 18:14; John 1:12-13; 3:3-8; 5:24; Acts 13:39; Romans 1:17; 3:21-26, 28; 4:5-9, 17-25; 5:1, 16-19; 6:4; 7:6; 8:1, 15-17; 1 Corinthians 1:30; 6:11; 2 Corinthians 5:17-21; Galatians 2:16-21; 3:1-14, 26; 4:4-7; Ephesians 1:6-7; 2:1, 4-5; Philippians 3:3-9; Colossians 2:13; Titus 3:4-7; 1 Peter 1:23; 1 John 1:9; 3:1-2, 9; 4:7; 5:1, 9-13, 18)
New International Version (NIV)
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.